Or Telephone us on 01483 416242
menu and content divider only

Do I Require Local Authority Approval to put up a Garden Building

Buildings Regulations

Under Class VI(1)of Schedule 2 of the Building Regulations 2000, most garden buildings with a floor area under 15m² can be installed without the need for building regulation consent.  Garden Buildings with a floor area between 15m² and 30m² must be situated more than 1 metre from the boundary to be exempt from building regulation consent.

Planning Permission

Class E in the Schedule to the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (Amendment) (No. 2) (England) Order 2008, permits the erection of detached garden buildings under permitted development. 

However, the Order lists a number of instances where development is not permitted by Class E.  These include, if: 

"(a)   the total area of ground covered by buildings, enclosures and containers within the curtilage (other than the original dwellinghouse) would exceed 50% of the total area of the curtilage (excluding the ground area of the original dwellinghouse);

(b)   any part of the building, enclosure, pool or container would be situated on land forward of a wall forming the principal elevation of the original dwellinghouse;

(c)   the building would have more than one storey;

(d)   the height of the building, enclosure or container would exceed -

(i)   4 metres in the case of a building with a dual-pitched roof,

(ii)   2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container within 2 metres of the boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse, or

(iii)   3 metres in any other case;

(e)   the height of the eaves of the building would exceed 2.5 metres;

(f)   the building, enclosure, pool or container would be situated within the curtilage of a listed building;

(g)   it would include the construction or provision of a veranda, balcony or raised platform;

(h)   it relates to a dwelling or a microwave antenna."

If the dwellinghouse is listed, located in a national park, area of outstanding beauty or conservation area then different rules apply and in certain situations it is possible that planning permission may be required.

If you are unsure whether or not your proposed building would require local authority consent, or you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.  Alternatively, you should discuss your proposals with the planning department of your local authority.